What are the different Types of allowances in Casting process?
Participate, learn & Sharpen your answering skills
What are the different Types of allowances in Casting process?
In a multi-cylinder engine,why the firing is done at different time ? what are the firing order for a four cylinder petrol engine?
What is Firing Order of 4 and 6 Cylinder Engine?
Explain the term hot cracking & cold cracking in welding and how these can be taken care of ?
Write the relation between equivalent length and actual length of a column for various end condition
What useful information are obtained from tensile test of ductile material
Define "Mechanical property" of engineering material
State any 6 mechanical properties, give their definition and one example of material possessing the property
What are the various permanent and detachable fastenings. Give a complete list with the different types of each category.
List three principal factors that influence engine performance ?
What is the purpose of using the governor in CI engine?
Which are the two major type of governors?
Explain the use of the study of the heat balance of an engine
what is meant by crankcase ventilation ?
Why are drilled holes superior to punched holes in pressure vessel work ?
Difference between counterboring , countersinking & spot facing ?
What is the difference between wheel dressing and wheel truing ?
Differentiate between grain and grade in grinding wheel
Why a drill jig should have four legs, no more and no less ?
What- all mechanical transmission devices are employed fro transmitting rotary & translatory motion for stepped regulation.?
What are various moulding defects and how are they caused?
In Image - casting defects
Distinguish between ray diagram & speed diagram with respect to machine tool
1. What are the differences between true stress, engineering stress, proof stress.
2. What do you men by factor of safety and what is its significance
3. What do you mean by Young’s modulus, modulus of rigidity and bulk modulus.
4. What do you mean by resilience.
5. What is pure torsion and what do you mean by flexural igidity.
6. What is the difference between endurance limit stree and endurance strength.
7. What do you understand by efficiency of riveted joint.
8. What is caulking and fullering in riveted joint.
9. What do you mean by stress conc. Factor and what are the methods to reduce stress conc.
10. Why stress conc. Is more serious in brittle materials.
11. What do you mean by fatigue .
12. Springs are subjected to which type of streses.
13. What are the difference between through bolt, tap bolt and stud.
14. What is check nut and what is the function of washer.
15. Cotter and knuckle joints take which type of load and where they are used.
16. What are the difference types of couplings and what is their function.
17. What is the function of key and which type of stress they are subjected to?
18. Generally shafts are subjected to which type of stress.
19. What are the difference types of mechanical drives and which is the best for different situations.
20. What is the function of a bush why it is phosphor bronze.
21. What are difference types of threads and which threads are used for power transmission and why.
22. Why the pulley arms are elliptical in cross section and it is made up of cast iron.
23. Why it is required to change the all V belt if one of them is broken.
24. Why V belts transmit more power than flat belts.
25. What is the meaning of 6*37 or 6*7 in a rope drive.
26. What do you mean by pinion sprocket and wheel sprocket and which one is used for driving shaft.
27. What is the function of flywheel and why its material is cast iron.
28. Why the leaf springs are laminated as reducing length.
29. What is the function of clutch and is the difference between uniform wear and uniform pressure.
30. Now a days which type of clutches are used in automobiles.
31. Why disc brake is more efficient than mechanical brake.
32. What is the function of bearings and what are the different types.
33. What is bearing characteristics number and bearing modulus.
34. What is the significance of the digits of a rolling contact bearing number 6304?
35. Which type of gear drive is used for perpendicular transmission of power?
36. Why helical gears transmit more power than spur gears.
37. What do you mean by different terms like back lash, pressure angle, circular pitch in a gear drive.
38. Why involute tooth profile is better than cycloid tooth profile?
39. What is interference in gear drive and how to avoid it?
40. What do you mean by law of gearing
You know that diesel engine is the most appropriate choice of the engineers when it comes to drive heavy automobile like trucks, aircraft, ships etc. But what makes it so torque, is it the engine design, working cycle or something else. Please share your deep analysis to answer this questions
Mechanical Engineering Interview Questions and answers for freshers on design, safety and maintenance.
1) What is an accident ?
An accident is a unexpected and unforeseen event which may or may not injury to a person or a machine tool.
2) What are the standard sizes of drawing board as per Indian Standards?
As per Indian Standards :1250×900,900×650,650×500,500×350,350×250 sizes are available.
3) What are the functions of a scale ?
(a) To measure distance accurately.
(b) For making drawing to scale either in full size, reduced size or enlarged size.
4) What is a sketching ?
This is freehand expression of the graphic language.
5) What do you mean by First Aid ?
First Aid is immediate and temporary care given to a person who affected accidental injury or a sudden illness before the arrival of doctor.
6) What is a Drawing ?
It is a graphical representation of a real thing to define and specify the shape and size of a particular object by means of lines.
7) What is Engineering Drawing ?
A drawing which is worked out an engineer for the engineering purpose is known as Engineering Drawing.
8) What are the methods of extinguishing fire ?
1) Starvation. Separating or removing the burning material from the neighbour hood of the fire.
2) Blanketing. Preventing the air flow to the fire.
3) Cooling. Lowering the heat created by burning materials.
9) What are the precautions to be taken to avoid fire ?
1) The buckets along with sand should be placed inside the workshop.
2) Switches and other electrical parts must be made of fireproof material.
3) Carbon dioxide gas should be place at required points in special containers.
4) Fire extinguishers of suitable type should be placed at accessible places.\
10) What safety precautions should be observed while working in the workshop ?
1) Keep shop floor clean, free from oil and other slippery materials.
2) Wear proper dress and avoid loose clothing and loose hair.
3) Wear shoes and avoid chapels.
4) Avoid playing, loose talk and funning inside the shop floor.
5) Keep good housekeeping and put all unnecessary items and rejected items in scrap box.
6) Learn everything about the machine before starting and clear all the doubts.
7) Keep a safe distance from rotating and sliding parts.
8) Never store inflammable materials inside or around the shop.
9) Never play with electricity, fire, parts with sharp edge etc.
10) Keep fire buckets and extinguishers ready for use.