Mechanical Engineering

For any regular people who are not mechanical engineers, not even students, I have found an awesome free CAD program that anyone can learn to use in an hour or less, vs other programs that take dozens of hours of training just to start. 

https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/mechanical-software

I have only made a few parts myself. But it's an amazing, powerful program for designing anything. I don't know of any faults yet. Am currently trying to import these files to Autodesk inventor to make an assembly. 

• 2 weeks later...

Autocad - Ideal for 2D drafting[1]

The basic software for any mechanical engineer, If you learn this it’ll definitely help you. And do learn how to read the drawings in a sheet? It is good for your professional life.

Solidworks

For solid modelling and Moulding design. It is user-friendly. So, easy to learn and anyone can become a pro in it. Some startups and small scale industries using it widely for its low cost.

CATIA

For designing the wide range of sheet metal products, volume or surface modelling, sheet processing, assembly drawings, tool making, piping design, cast, forging, hydraulic and pneumatic design. Most of the aerodynamic related products are designed using CATIA. It's a comprehensive tool for the generation of 3D parts of all kinds. Aircraft and Auto part companies are utilising it widely.

ProE

It's 3D CAD/CAM/CAE feature-based product. Design, Simulations analyses, engineering calculations and documentation can be done by this. Specific for surface design kinda work.

There are many software's which are widely used in industry for different purpose :-

1. Siemens NX
  2. CATIA
  3. SOLIDWORKS
  4. CREO
  5. INVENTOR
  6. AUTOCAD (Generally used for 2D)
  7. Alias,maya(these are used for concept designing & surface design)

Alias is used world wide used for concept designing even Ferrari uses it.

Now coming to design engineer. Every design engineer uses all these software.

Coming to automobile & aerospace industry Every OEM'S uses these 2 high-end software like NX & CATIA.

NX has its speciality in Mould designing because its mold wizard module has more option that you can easily design any component Mould with some of the click.

CATIA has more option in surface module so every aerospace industry uses it.

According to my experience I recommend you to learn NX ,CATIA. You will get many job on these two software but learning these software won't help because company expect more from candidate.

So apart from learning these software clear your basic concept about engineering drawing, learn GD&T , DFM etc.

• 6 months later...