Mechanical Engineering
Anurima

advice related to mechanical engineering

I am a second year engineering student(mumbai, india). our first year courses were the same for all branches. i had taken admission for computer engineering at my college. but now i wish to switch to mechanical engineering. is this a suitable career for girls? are there ample career opportunities? please advise.

Talk to Umama. She is right there with you.

Hello Anurima,

Yes you can switch to mechanical engg but you need to be ready with your reason of change with strong academic score in your first year to be able to change. Talk to your HOD about it.

Good luck!

These aren't particularly original pieces of advice, but they're important nonetheless:

1. Learn how to study effectively. This isn't just a matter of putting your nose down and working really hard - you don't just want to get good grades, you want to get good grades and still have enough time to have a life. There are plenty of books and websites on building good study habits. I'd say the most important of them are:
    1. Study in distributed chunks rather than cramming at the last minute.
    2. Take actives notes and do practice problems rather than passively reading and highlighting mindlessly.
    3. Don't be too proud or nervous to ask for help, but don't rely on it excessively.
  2. Research your classes and professors. Plan out your schedule - don't overload on tough classes and avoid profs with bad reputations.
  3. Get research and internship opportunities! The best way to do this is just to start looking early and show initiative. Ask professors, go to networking events, do mock interviews, etc. You need to start building your resume and if you recognize this, you'll have an advantage over your classmates by sheer virtue of not procrastinating.
  4. Learn how to program.
  5. Networking is important. Try to attend social events and organizations related to engineering. Don't overdo this and join like seven clubs or do anything stupid, but try to make friends with both your peers and potential employers.
  6. The soft skills and factors are important. Get good sleep, exercise right, develop your social skills, etc. If you had to choose between a 3.4 GPA and a healthy social life, and a 3.7 GPA and nothing else, go with the former.
  7. Make sure you actually have some reason to do engineering beyond thinking you “should” because you did well in school.
  8. Remember to have fun!

Mechanical Engineering always come with tough jobs, mostly related to field work. You should physically be strong for Mechanical. Career opportunities are in heap but obtaining a good score in academic is also not that easy. It is no doubt the best the field and you can earn a lot of money as compared to technological fields. Computer Engineering is a good field but comes with a verity which you cannot satiate. You can only be a hardware engineer or software engineer. So it is better you should choose mechanical if you wish to switch and in parallel get the knowledge of software or networking.