Aditya Prakash _619

Quesn on shape of aerofoil

6 posts in this topic

What would happen if the shape of aerofoil is of streamlined body having pointed ends on both sides compared to one pointed end on one side ( in reality ) ?? Plz comment in full detail .. 

If I recall correctly, there have been aircraft built with wing sections such as you describe, essentially sharp on both the leading and trailing edges. I think they were for some very unusual purpose, but I forget all details. Do some web research on wing sections; you may find something interesting.

DrD

Aditya Prakash _619 likes this

I agree with Dr D....but that said, I seem to recall something (in the dim an distant past) about placing the highest Bernouli lift  to the front of the wing in order to make the wing more stable by use of a tailplane stabilisor...

In typing this I am having some memories return....there is also a MUCH LOWER stall speed (ie the airraft has to go much faster to prevent stall) due to the lack of laminar flow across the top surface and very low angles of attack....basically the bullnose at the front encourages laminar flow as the angle of attack rises, whereas the complete opposite is true of the sharper leading edge...ie turbulent flow is encouraged, resulting in reduced pressure drop (Bernoulli effect) and loss of stability and lift.

Theoretically, this could be countered by a greater reliance on Newtonian (Reactive) lift, but that is inherently unstable (Turbulent) and difficult to control anyway, so not an ideal situation!