Mechanical Engineering
Renny

[UPDATED] Inertia Plate

Hello,   

I started a project with a friend of mine to design and build a "street buggy", basically, it's a dune buggy meant to be driven on tarmac instead. So far, we've come up with diagrams of the chassis and other specialized components with approximated measurements. This buggy that we've deemed the "Raptor Mk.1" is to be a rear engine, rear wheel drive, single seat capacity vehicle. On our diagrams, we predicted that it should be about 2.7432m in length. However, more that 75% of the vehicle's weight will be in the back, so we need to figure out how to balance the weight. Simply storing the fuel tank in the front wont be enough.

After brainstorming for a few days, I finally came up with an idea: a shift-able weight mounted on the front. It was a breakthrough for this project, but it's only a theorized component, one that I will now share it's details with in order to get a consult on it's possibility:  
(I know the name is bland and it doesn't roll off the tongue, i'm still working on it) It's called an "Inertia Slide", a rectangular piece of metal that is suspended on two bearing houses bolted onto the chassis. Here's what I wrote down above the design of this Inertia Slide: "In theory, the inertia slider is a component mounted on a vehicle's chassis that helps distribute weight evenly when accelerating and decelerating. When the vehicle is accelerating, the weight is pull backward, applying weight to the middle of the body for stability; and when the vehicle is decelerating, the weight is pushed forward to the front of the body, applying more weight on the front wheels, improving it's handling and ability to steer."    
        In my Power Mechanics class, we learned about bearings that protect the crankshaft and camshaft from inertia, that's how I came up with this idea: instead of opposing the force of inertia, why not utilize it?    
       Anyways, now for the specifications: Weight (part) LxWxH = 121cmx115cmx8cm, weight = 70kg, components = seal plate, arm, weight plate ; Wearing Rail (Housing): LxWxH = 1.82.88cmx?(to be determined)x10cm, weight = undetermined, components = impact absorber, lock plate, ball OR cylindrical roller bearing, oil seal, shell.
All this may be hard to envision, all i have are crude sketches, unfortunately. I have to real skills with 3D modeling programs. But, I intend the mount this part on the front of the chassis with it's angle being biased to the the front so the it naturally falls forward. I'm also hoping to instill a frictional resistance on this part so that it requires approximately 0.8 lateral G's in order to move at all.   

Keep in note that I have no expert training in this field at the moment, this is simply a project to get a first hand feel and understanding.
Once again, this is a theorized part and all measurements are approximation to be adjusted accordingly.    
Can anyone help me out with this?
BSkz6c09tK9d7x1v5c6v58JBeiumodtpO0vT8VU6
iKdjDsKa70qdbB9HPkVR6PPV9oLnH7X4dnoYoO2Z6kbduPoNukz0hjyB7Ic08fx0Ov2shpmBvjtvWUnF

Edited by Renny
Changed design name.

I am impressed  by your  auto  mechanical  designing. I'm an inventive auto designer. I have an idea for  a hydrogen  engine  that's  fuel comes out out of a water reservoir , poured manually and dehumidified using  electrolysis.  with a cryogenic  liquid  hydrogen  fuel  cell  released in small  doses  into  the  twin  gasious fuel cell   without a heat element. Hydro  engines  only run on gas and the engine  needs to be strong  since the  internal explosion  is greater  than  gasoline. I need  help  picking  the  right car. What do  you  think  of  a  modified  diesel  engine  since their made strong.? I'm looking  for  partners who  have some  experience  with  systems  mentioned. I need  some  specific  aid on a few systems and parts. Since I only  designed  I need  help  making it from  a beat up car to prove  to   America  it can be done. I already  know  there's fuel  in water and I aim to  amaze.

@nice-hice-hybrid-breather , that sounds like a great project!  You'll want to choose a vehicle with plenty of engine space for starts. Judging by the fuel processing process. you'll also want a decent sized boot/trunk. Most modern cars have advanced electronics assisting engine operations, so an older car would be a perfect template.

As for an engine, a diesel compresses air to such a high point that when fuel is injected it combusts immediately--which is basically one of it's only differences between a gasoline engine. I wouldn't say that it's tougher, but don't take my word for it, I've never dealt with a diesel engine before. I'd suggest seeing if you could get an engine block forged out of tungsten, it has the highest melting point of all metals, it should do you just fine.

I will consult another mechanic about your project to get a second-hand view and then get back to you. 'The best of luck on your engine!

Thank you, I agree, definitely  need  a  big trunk, about 5 bodies  worth, a custom order  of tungsten  will be an ordeal. Diesel  engines  are  made stronger. Thanks though I have  my mind on an 80s American  car or and old Japan hatchback. Tungsten  may melt high but I don't  think  it's stronger  than  titanium  which  isn't extremely  expensive. Thanks  for  getting  back  to  me. I'm in the  market  for  the  right beater. I suppose  I  will  need to have machined a new block, valve stems and intake  manifold.:D I will  keep  you  posted, I know  you  understand  the  intrincities of this  idea. Many facets  I know  exist  but I don't  know  how  to  implement  but in God's time and some  assistance  I will  reinvent  the  car. Please  don't  steal  my idea, instead  partner  up if you wish,Peace