• br
prodigyoutdoors

calculating tipping point

basically i am looking to make a stand that will be about 36" tall and will have arm on it that would hold 10 pounds or less But would like to be able to beef it up if needed to hold more weight.

the arm will preferably be 24" long and will be able to swing 90 degrees. I am wondering how long the bottom needs to be in order for the system to not tip over and also looking for a way to level the stand or legs. please see the diagrams. i am not an engineering but trying to invent a product. 

let me know if you need more illustrations. 

camera mock.jpg

camera mock2.jpg

Edited by prodigyoutdoors
needed to add viewable attachments

This site has literally thousands of engineers who should be able to answer your question. Surely someone can help you.

The simple answer is that you are safe if the load remains over the footprint of the feet. If that is true, there is a greater righting moment than any possible over-turning moment.

DrD

Its a simple moment equation to find the CoG/M (depending on preference)...then just ensure the Cog is within the footprint of the...well...foot.

If you carry out the calcs for each extreme and then a couple between these extremes, you will get a footprint of utilisation, which is the area within which the foot must always fall.  You need a lot more detail, materials for framework, mass, profile etc.  I understand why you may want to provide this additional data, but assistance is somewhat restricted without.

Good luck!

On 5/6/2016 at 5:33 AM, prodigyoutdoors said:

basically i am looking to make a stand that will be about 36" tall and will have arm on it that would hold 10 pounds or less But would like to be able to beef it up if needed to hold more weight.

the arm will preferably be 24" long and will be able to swing 90 degrees. I am wondering how long the bottom needs to be in order for the system to not tip over and also looking for a way to level the stand or legs. please see the diagrams. i am not an engineering but trying to invent a product. 

let me know if you need more illustrations. 

camera mock.jpg

camera mock2.jpg

interesting 

i am really bad in math, ill be honest. I have two bachelors degrees one in forestry and one in wildlife biology but math is very confusing to me. I have the creative ability but putting my ideas into a physical object are difficult for me. if anyone is willing to help me please let me know.

21 hours ago, naval91 said:

Hi!

I just understand your ideal by that picture. I think you want to rotate like this. 

If that's not right. I will redraw for you.

Tks

Untitled.jpg

that is correct except i only want the "it" ( the yellow and red) to be able to rotate around the green 90 degrees, so basically trying to figure out 

1.) how many legs it needs, 3 or 4.

2.) how long do the legs need to be in comparison to the top arm.