Mechanical Engineering

The DIAGRAM itself is of very little use, in my opinion. The information it contains, however is another matter.

When you speak of a diagram, I presume you refer to something actually drawn on paper, in which case, to get numerical data from it, you must scale the diagram. This is never very accurate.

A knowledge of velocities and accelerations is essential if we are to describe the dynamics of a machine system. All of this can be done mathematically, and it that form, this information is of great value. We often need to calculate the forces in various components to determine their required strength. This means that we must be able to write a full mathematical description of the system dynamics, and that always involves velocities and accelerations.

To sum up then, personally speaking, I think the diagram is next to useless, but the knowledge of velocities and accelerations is essential for design.

DrD

Dear Harish,

You asked how to plot an acceleration diagram easily in a few steps. It cannot always be done in a few steps, but it is not hard to do, provided you use a computer to do the calculations.

You can describe the position relations in your device using vector loop equations. Solving those equations will give you numerical values for all position variables for any assigned position.

You can also differentiate the position equations to obtain velocity equations. These can be solved to give all of the velocities associated with a particular position and input velocity.

You can differentiate the velocity equations to obtain the acceleration equations. These can be solved to obtain the accelerations associated with a particular position, input velocity, and input acceleration.

Now, if you want a dynamic acceleration curve, you must solve the equation of motion for your device; this usually means a numerical integration of the equation of motion. These numerical solution will give you the positions, velocities, and accelerations to apply in expressing the various component accelerations.

For more on this, read some of my early posts at the Mechanics Corner (my now discontinued blog on ME Forum) where I showed exactly how to do most of this.

DrD

The theory of mechanics of machines? Well, I'm a final year mech student, so i would love to answer your question. Mechanics.Machinery.Motion.
The study of machines or simple mechanisms , and the analysis of these parts connected together with links and pivots and levers is the theory of it. 
We could say that the geometrical analysis which includes the locating of the centre of gravity of the whole mechanism is what it is. But it's not only this. It's is also the study of the effects of forces or loads or and torque on these objects through bending moment and force diagrams . There's more . Although I think your question might find a better answer .