Mechanical Engineering
Mahabub Alam

want to learn cad cam

Personally speaking, I learnt my first CAD software (AutoCAD) through private tuition from an instructor, and I was in 10th grade at that time. I learnt how to draw lines and circles and how to use eraser. But that’s equivalent of learning how to use pencil, protractor and a rubber eraser.

This is a very important point that learning how to use CAD/CAM software or any other professional software for the sake of it, without having any background knowledge/skills in relevant fields, is pretty much useless. In the same way as learning AutoCAD in 10th grade was not of any professional significance for me.

Later, during my Engineering degree program, when I had learnt the principles of Engineering Drafting, Design and Graphics, learning AutoCAD again proved to be more helpful because this time, it was an add-on to my existing knowledge of engineering drawing & drafting. This time, I learnt how to use SolidEdge (for 3D CAD) all with the help of video tutorials and help documentation that comes with the software, didn’t need any tutor because things started making sense.

My conclusion is, if you have the background knowledge of Designing, Machining, and a bit of experience, then taking admission in a professional CAD/CAM training institute might not be the most useful option for you. Instead, you can use your existing knowledge and skills and teach yourself using online tutorials, videos, help documentations, discussion groups and forums.