Mechanical Engineering

• 4 months later...

Currently part of a team Which going to take part in FSI 2017. I am in powertrain department and have been assigned the responsibility of designing the exhaust of a single cylinder KTM 390.

The main objective of exhaust is scavenging. Scavenging is a kind of suction taking place inside engine, thus kind of enhancing turbocharging activities, and extracting the exhaust gas from cylinder during Valve overlap period to increase efficiency of the engine. This phenomenon is called tuning. As we know along with sound waves, pressure waves are also released, whose frequency is same as EFR (Engine firing rate). So when the pressure is released to the atmosphere via tailpipe, it again reflects and interferes destructively with incoming pressure waves, thus reducing sound and removing the gas from cylinder during valve overlap period.

I would strictly advise you to study Graham Bell in detail in order to understand the concept of scavenging and tuning. There are formulas to calculate the length and diameter of the pipes in the book.

Regarding the muffler, if you are using a large horsepower engine, then you may settle with reactive muffler, but if you are using a low horsepower engine, I would advise you to use Absorptive Muffler.