Mechanical Engineering
Max Kleven

Hydraulic Cylinder frequency

Question

I am looking to find a standardized way to measure the movement of a hydraulic cylinder. Unfortunately the cylinders that we are using do not have a magnet, so it isn't possible to use a positioning sensor (as far as I know). The sensors that we will be putting into place need to be easily attached and removed, so they cannot be integrated into the actual structure of the cylinder. My thought was to use an accelerometer to measure the frequencies of the cylinder. I am thinking that when the cylinder has reached the end of its stroke, it will read a unique frequency (at least I hope). The end result from getting these readings, will then allow us to measure the cycles of the hyd cylinders. 

Has anyone ever dealt with a problem like this, or have any different sensors in mind that I could possibly use? 

1 answer to this question

You could try a spring return small limit switch to be suitably located at the travel end of the cylinder rod in such a way that during every stroke,the end of piston rod pushes the switch pin gently and the pin comes back to its original position once the rod end  starts its retraction.

This pulse is to be measured per unit of time  to calculate the cycle of operation.