Mechanical Engineering
Daltonmcsweeny

How do I overcome self doubt in obtaining my engineering degree?

(Just a little back story) As a young child I began researching the Career choice as a mechanical engineer. I did start college after high school, but was cut short due to fund shortage and economical problems. I am now turning twenty-two and have recently applied for a university. I am now able to support myself due to the real world knowledge and experience I have gained as a diesel mechanic. I know I have always wanted to find out why things work in the world, discover solutions using math and science, and the ability to feed my self with factual evidence of mechanical items that function on a day to day basis around me. But, I still have self doubt in myself... what advice does anyone have to over come such doubt and worry?

I have the problem as you have , I choose the mechanical as my major in college for four years , besides , I am a girl.But now I choose to study further in SHENZHEN university .Over the past four years , I have learned the traditional mechanical knowledge ,but now I have to learn STM32,FPGA,ARM,so on ,which I never learn before .I know it is the trend of the mechanics.I have to do it well altought it is hard for me .come on buddy.

Give you perspective from other way.

Unlike a PhD program, both for undergraduate and Master degree program, you can’t be failed by your professor (unless you are very unlucky or very dumb).

The only reason of failing is you giving up.

In PhD program, you could be failed by your professor during your thesis defense.