Mechanical Engineering
ndems

Force generated by running machinery

Please can someone furnish me with the right formula for calculating the Force generated by running manufacturing machinery, in Newtons.  This can be any machine like can making machine or envelope making machinery rotating at 350 revolution per minute with 3 kW electric motor.

There is no simple formula for the force you are asking about. It depends upon the nature of the motions involved. If you would like to post a drawing of your machine (or send it to me by PM), then perhaps I can help you.

DrD

15 July 2019
Dear DrD

In your career as a Professor in Mechanical Engineering you have worked out the force generated by various machines.  Some time back I asked you and you referred me to page 382 of your book “Mechanics of Machines”.  It is all Greek to me I am afraid.

I want to keep it simple.  If, say, a very simple machine with two rollers, a metre long each with a diameter of 6 inches (about 152 millimetres) with a drive pulley on one side and a spur gear on the bottom roller and only one spur gear on the other top roller meshing with the gear at the bottom roller.  The simple machine is driven by a 3kW electric motor which runs at 3 000 to 10 000 revs per hour which is 50 revs/min to 150 revs/min.  The two rollers are roughly 15 kilograms each.  The top roller is spring loaded running on self-aligning bearings with take-up housings.   The bottom roller is also running on self-aligning pillow block bearings.  This simple machine is used to rinse water from clothes.

The rollers are made from mild steel, spurs gears are from steel as well.  There is a double V-pulley.  Drive and driven pulley are 1:3 respectively.   The simple machine has no cams or levers.  How much force does this machine generate at 50 revs/min and at 150 revs/min?  I will develop the machine later.  What formula do you use here?  Sketch of simple machine is attached.
Thank you in advance

Simple Machine.pdf