Mechanical Engineering
Sign in to follow this  
ChiragME

Advice- Does reading theory books makes you an engineer

Question

First i want to know, is someone can learn all the subjects in mechanical on his own. What a student do if he has studied theory books. Those paper problem are worthy to make someone an engineer without practicle ideas or discussion over the significase of so many theorms. 

2 answers to this question

First job one does is as GET - Graduate engineer trainee.... where he is sure to get practical training....

however we have seen even do not study theory properly.....

do we understand why calculations are done.....why and whats assumptions are we making ?

Theory is important, but it needs to be tied to practice. Practice comes in two forms, but necessary.

1) The first is personal practice. Try designing and constructing things. When they fail, ask yourself why, in terms of the theory? What bit of theory would predict that failure? What additional theory do I need to understand this failure? When they work, ask if the theory can guide you to something that works even better.

2) Look at the work of other engineers, always asking yourself "Why was it done this way? Is there a better way? Does this approach avoid any particular problems."

I've been an engineer for many years, but I continue to learn new things. Just a few days ago, I toured a river dam and lock system (the lock allows boats to pass through the dam in both directions). I saw things I've never seen before, and thought a lot about why things were done this way. To be a good engineer, you must never stop learning and thinking.

DrD