Mechanical Engineering
Abinav Shankar

Slider Crank Mechanism Lock

Question

Hi,

I am designing a slider-crank mechanism  and due to NDA I can't post the actual mechanism but I'm posting a simplified mechanism.

For my requirement, I don't want the output link to make a complete rotation. It has to be within the limits. It's more like a slider-rocker mechanism. I achieved it by limiting the slider displacement within certain distance. When the slider is left most position, the output link is at 140 deg and when the slider is in right most position, the output link makes 180 deg.

The issue is when I pull back my slider, sometimes, the output link, instead of proceeding in the opposite direction, returns back in the same direction. Is there a way to rectify this.

Annotation 2019-09-03 110856.jpg

3 answers to this question

Change your mechanism so that it operates over a different range (same total rotation, but different end points). Then you can attach an arm to the crank to have the required motion.

DrD

10 hours ago, DrD said:

Change your mechanism so that it operates over a different range (same total rotation, but different end points). Then you can attach an arm to the crank to have the required motion.

DrD

What difference will changing my endpoints make. I still can't predict the direction.

Perhaps we are not communicating clearly. If you want to send me a PM with a better figure and a more clear statement, I will look at your problem.

DrD