Mechanical Engineering
George UH

Resources/Advice on a Kinematics Problem

Question

Hello!

I have to make a simulation for a vehicle and trailer that can show the response to a quick swerve. I am planning on making it reasonably accurate, basically just showing if the trailer is stable or not and what its response time/dampening ration would be. I can find out almost any physical aspect about the trailer for the model, but I am not very familiar with dynamics/kinematics, and it seems like that's the avenue to take. 

I have done some research, and it seems as if everyone is treating similar examples as rigid body motion in a plane. Generally I have only found examples of the trailer being linked to the midpoint between the back tires similar to a 5th wheel or goose neck hitch. For my simulation, I need it to be be similar to a common consumer hitch, mounted back several feet form the axle - meaning when the car turns to the left the hitch moves slightly to the right. I assume that is just taking another vector into account but I am not entirely positive. Does anyone have any good examples of this, or would be able to help setting up the initial equations? I have several books to read through but I was hoping to avoid starting at the most basic level and teaching myself a 510 masters class at work.

5 answers to this question

I can't help much with resources for writing it yourself but I can point you to some tools.

I've never used it but you can check out MBDyn (https://www.mbdyn.org/), it's an open source multi-body solver. For paid tools with a GUI check what dynamics tools are available with your CAD package. For something more advanced some of the big MBD companies have "lite" versions which are good for fully rigid systems like this, google "mbd lite". 

Have you downloaded a copy of my Theory of Machines text available at this web site? If not, I suggest you might want to do so. While this problem is not given there, a lot of similar things are discussed. Take a look.

DrD