Mechanical Engineering

Alternative for thermal spray welding in scarcity of oxygen

admin

Question

Asked by Anurag mishra on twitter

plz anyone suggest an alternative for Thermal spray welding. Due to scarcity of oxygen in India our welding process have come to halt. We use acetylene + oxygen for metallic(nickel) spray weld using thermal gun spray. Plz suggest an alternative gases for the same.

1 answer to this question

Now this is entirely theoretical!!

It may be possible to use "arc-spatter" to advantage. (My welder's knackered at the moment so I cannot try it to see...) 

If a (semi-sacrificial) earthed-point is located immediately proud of a MIG-tip, and the power and gas-flow ramped up to "silly levels", the spatter from the feed wire "should" spray on to the target metal.  It will likely take some fine tuning, but - despite the increased use of gas - it may be a workable solution.

Basically, the "earthed-point" will spark the arc...if the power is high enough, the metal should near-vapourise, forming a fine spray, being easily blown - by the shielding gas - onto the workpiece where it will solidify.

If it works, it's an oxygen free solution. Please do feed-back if this works - good luck!

My thoughts and best wishes are with all in India at the moment....and indeed all who have been either directly or indirectly affected by this terrible disease wherever they are in the world!