Mechanical Engineering

Calculating the force required / Design of Rack and Pinion

Hello everyone. This is Govardhanan. I am still a student, when mechanics is considered, so please tolerate my simple questions and pls do help me out.

I am trying to dispense some food from the container using a rack and a pinion, but was not successful in that, as the stepper motor I use doesnt give enough torque. So I need to know the torque I am supposed to generate to dispense the food. But I am not sure how to measure the force required to dispense the food. Please help me out in designing this. Thanks a ton in advance.🙂

I have attached the rough explanation drawing and an image of what I have done already.

Rack Setup.jpg

Dispenser.jpg

This question is best addressed experimentally. Use the system you have built, but drive it with a dead weight rather than the stepper motor. Determine both (1) the load required to initiate the flow, and (2) the load required to sustain the flow. With that data, you should be in a good position to complete your design.

DrD