• br
raunak (esmilo)

CAD software to use?

i am 3rd yr m.e student, i have learnt autocad but as it has many designing restriction in 3D, i am trying to look for another but cant decide which one. i am unable to decide b/w pro e, solidworks & catia. please suggest.

note- your answer should be based on designing power of the software not its UI or look. in reference to latest versions of all.

I use ug nx 7.5. Its a very powerful program and the synchronous modeling functions are a lifesaver for manipulating STEP files and bodies that don't have feature dialogues. It doesn't seem terribly common in the US but very popular in EU. I would steer clear of Catia just because it doesn't have backward compatibility with older version files.

@raunak,

Its depend on you, as what i think.. all 3 differ in platform but have same ideology n methodology behind d design.. Most of the industries using Solidworks... But Catia is More user friendly and there are a lot of moduls compare both... n problem regarding to older version so u can change the file in step or iges file and import it in any sw.

I can recommend latest Creo 2.0. which is based on ProE, it has quite fast FEM analysis module among many others, with many linked solvers - ANSYS/MSC MARC and what ive seen there will be soon link to Comsol as well. Wish I could try Solid Works, but it seems I cant get to any student licence file, yet.

thnx everybody for your suggestions,

I use ug nx 7.5. Its a very powerful program and the synchronous modeling functions are a lifesaver for manipulating STEP files and bodies that don't have feature dialogues. It doesn't seem terribly common in the US but very popular in EU. I would steer clear of Catia just because it doesn't have backward compatibility with older version files.

@Bryan, i was unable to get your last line about campatibility in case of catia.

I can recommend latest Creo 2.0. which is based on ProE, it has quite fast FEM analysis module among many others, with many linked solvers - ANSYS/MSC MARC and what ive seen there will be soon link to Comsol as well. Wish I could try Solid Works, but it seems I cant get to any student licence file, yet.

@Milos i ant get your reason regarding license file, did it meant you were not able to use SW due to license issues or are there any other problems with it too.

Dear Raunak,

I saw your post and other responses as well.Let me come to the solution part.

Before selecting software plz ask below questions and I assure you will be in a good position and working in Design:

1.What is your preferable domain like-Auto /SPM/consumer product design /piping/New product development/Aero etc ?1ST get the answer

2.If you wish to work in SPM(Special purpose Machine Design then SOLIDWORKS or SOLIDEDGE can help you.You can prefer SOLIDWORKS over SOLIDEDGE.

3.If you wish to work in Automotive 4 wheelers and Heavy equipment manufacturing company then prefer-NX or CATIA both are good.

4.If you are targeting 2 wheeler/3wheeler segments then go for Creo

5.If you are Trargeting Areo industry then prefer CATIA

6.If you are targeting AUTOMOTIVE CLASS-A Surface design like styling then prefer Alias Automotive or CATIA AND so on for many domains.....

7.You need to have sound knowlegde in ENGINEERING Drawing

8.You also need to have good understanding about GD&T Y14.5

9.You need to have good command over Machine Design,Strength of Material(MOM) for your success in Design field.

Thank you.

Hope my answer will help you.Else write to me pramit@smartlearningindia.com

Thanks and Regards

Pramit Kumar Senapati

Chief Subject MATTER Expert

CAD/CAM/CAE Video Training Publishing

www.smartlearningindia.com

@ pramit sir,

thnx for your suggestions, it really has cleared my view as i totally am willing for pursue my career as a designer in automotive fields as major, by that i have decided to go for CATIA, thnx for your support.

just can't get 1 thing clear in your point no.-4, why have you suggested to use Creo for 2/3 wheeler & CATIA for 4 wheelers.(its just for clearification).

I am not a student, am not employed in this field of mechanical engineering. But I like to build machines in my spare time. I need cheap software that is relatively easy to learn. My computer can handle it, but I don't have time to learn Autodesk inventor, or others like that. I currently working on multi bar linkages for a skid walking machine. Have built them out of steel, but making changes is too difficult. 

Thanks to the advice from DrD, I finally found a program called FreeCAD. it cost $10, but it awesome,  it has everything I want, everything I need,  and more. The bad part is the heavy learning curve. I am not an engineer, haven't attended a class since 1987. I am following the tutorials now. Thanks for your help

I"m glad to hear that you found something useful, Tim. It is almost comic that the name is FreeCAD, but it costs $10. I wonder what it would cost if it were called PayForItCAD?

DrD

Free cad website

It is actually free to download. But I found it on ebay, and paid the money for a physical CD. After I installed it, I learned that it is open sourced, and totally free to all. 

www.freecadweb.org

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer. I will check it out. I am fine, because it's already been viewed thousands of times in hundreds of countries around the world. I would have progressed much further if I had collaborators, investors, or any help with resources. But there is no guarantee of success, commercial viability, or even the machine working as well as my dreams have it