Mechanical Engineering Community
dasanchez

Y strainer for fuel oil pipe line

Question

Hello people,

I have signed in today for asking you this question:

- Could I use a Mueller Y strainer (model 11 M) for a fuel oil pipe line? here's the specifications: http://media.wattswater.com/ES-MS-11-M.pdf

- If it is possible, do you have any convertion factor to this chart http://media.wattswater.com/S-MS-PressureDrop-Y.pdf in order to properly calculate the pressure drop?

3 answers to this question

Dear as you have mention it for fo pipe line it is good to go with a higher mesh size and a valve restricting the flow prior to the stainer and another valve after it so that it will help you draining and cleaning the strainer when needed. and it must be connected with a by pass connection , vide it may restrict the flow if it gets chocked.

Friend I understood your matter. yes you can easily install CAST IRON Y STRAINERS, CHUCK VALVES, OR others fittings in fuel oil pipeline. but specially for "y strainer" it should be note that inside cleaning Net of strainer should of BRASS METAL made or STAINLESS STEAL. if you install BLACK STEEL NET STRAINER, so that would be dangrous.

Yes you can calculate pressure drop using Perry's formula. But this formula is to determine pressure drop across filters and it will not tell you the pressure dropped in body of the strainer. still you can find that too using Darcy Weishback friction loss calculation formula