Mechanical Engineering
Waseem Anwar

Starting career as Mechanical Engineer in USA

How can i start my career as mechanical engineer in New York USA?

I have done mechanical engineer from Pakistan and i have 4 years of experiense in structure design.

I have arrived in New York few days ago and have a green card

Anybody from USA please help

Waseem, why did you come to NYC without a job in hand to come to? How will you live until you find a job? How will you maintain a professional status if the only job you can find is taxi cab driver, waiter, or similar? Your coming with no job in hand looks like a serious mistake to me.

DrD

US universities has a very good career fair and really good job opportunities. Doing an intern-ship or co-op during the masters will really help a lot in landing a good job for Mechanical Engineers.

1. One tip to get hired is to get an appointment with university job -  consultant services, they will help you find or even guide to opportunities that best fit your need. (Help you improve your current resume.) They will also help you discover your high skills and improve others you require.
  2. Networking is another key, try to get along with people and get in touch with their contacts. Social media profiles especially Linkdin should be updated regularly and right with your terms and goals.
  3. You could look to get recommendation from your professors and department heads and also ask them for opinion with best job opportunities which has wide scope, they are always happy to help and one of the best source to get information.

Opportunities are many but its always how you grasp them makes the cut for a high paying job! You maybe investing a fortune for your degree so you should also look to make a fortune out of it.

The average salary for a Mechanical Engineer is $78,479 per year in the United States. Salary estimates are based on 34,614 salaries submitted anonymously to Indeed by Mechanical Engineer employees, users, and collected from past and present job advertisements on Indeed in the past 36 months. The typical tenure for a Mechanical Engineer is less than 1 year.

On 3/3/2015 at 12:08 PM, Waseem Anwar said:

How can i start my career as mechanical engineer in New York USA?

I have done mechanical engineer from Pakistan and i have 4 years of experiense in structure design.

I have arrived in New York few days ago and have a green card

Anybody from USA please help

Learn to write properly? 

American companies won’t give a job to someone not American, with likely half-decent English, weely neely.

Did you see how many unemployed people in the street? 

Sorry to say this bluntly.