• br
saurabhjain

A cantilever beam is loaded a point on its ends what will be the effect in shear force?

Question

4 answers to this question

If the load is applied at the free end of the cantilever, then the result will be a constant net shear forces as Ronny Moore has said.

If the load is applied at the fixed end of the beam, there will be no shear forces in the beam at all.

The question did not make clear which end is loaded.

DrD

For those who are not familiar with shear in a beam I would like to add something to the two answers above. The shear is constant between the load and the fixed end. As the load moves toward the fixed end the shear is still the same value but only for the section between the fixed end and the load. From the load to the free end the shear is also constant but zero.

Here is a tool to play with for free. https://bendingmomentdiagram.com/solve/ Try different loadings and supports and see how the diagrams change. During my undergrad days I did not appreciate how important free body diagrams, and bending moment moment diagrams were until I had to work on problems that did not have answers in the back of the text. 

Shear stress is constant (non-zero) from the point of load to the fixed end of the beam.

Shear stress is zero from the point of load to the free end of the beam.