Mechanical Engineering
Mechanicals

Reading Material for Power Plant Engineering

A friend of mine, Charles F. Bowman, has written a book (Thermal Engineering of Nuclear Station Balance-of-Plant Systems) on this subject that is soon to be published by CRC Press. It contains more than just BoP, including the cycles and components you are interested in. Chuck was the lead thermal designer on several of TVA's large coal-fired plants (Cumberland, Paradise, Bull Run) and all of TVA's nuclear plants (Browns Ferry, Sequoyah, Watts Bar, Bellefonte, Hartsville, Yellow Creek, Phipps Bend). He is a wealth of knowledge and experience. He has published many papers, some of which you may be able to find online. Also a lot of EPRI papers, which are very difficult to obtain. Many of the papers I've written on the subject can be downloaded from ResearchGate or my website. I have attached three. They're not as interesting as the book, but it hasn't been released yet and I don't know the timeline. I have a lot of software you can download for free.

Analysis of Browns Ferry Nuclear Operation with Four and Six Cooling Towers.pdf Analysis of the Paradise Fossil Plant Cooling System.pdf Sensitivity_of_Power_Supply_to_Extreme_Meteorology.pdf