Mechanical Engineering
Duveltje

How to grow from Mechanical Engineering Study to Space Industry?

Dear reader,

At this moment I am in my final year of Mechanical Engineering(bachelors) in the Netherlands. As some of you might know, the Netherlands is the home of ESTEC, the European Space Agencies Research and Development centre. At this moment I am looking for an internship(which I might have found in a steelconstruction company whom I think do their work great and where I can create a solid base to build my carreer on(I mean, lets start at the basics of ME, how to calculate a construction correctly)). Though I do not know how I should ever get from there, to a very interesting job in the space industry(it's kind of my dream to help build space related stuff).

I'm 24 years old now, and don't want to do my masters, due to the (at least) 3 years of study added to it. I was wondering of any of you would know another way to reach the space industry, besides a masters programme(if it means I need to study besides work, then I would gladly take that chance! However, as far as I know, Universities do not offer parttime courses).

Thanks for the help!

With kind regards,

Michel

A mechanical engineer is eligible for all aerospace engineer jobs provided they have the required set of skills for the job. Aerospace Engineering is nothing but the application of same basic principles of structural mechanics, thermodynamics and fluid mechanics in aircraft and spacecraft. So, if you are good at the basic simulations in these three areas, you have a very good chance of finding a job in aerospace industry.

Apart from this, you can take-up some internships or projects during your mechanical engineering that include application into aerospace field, which will give you some idea of what more you need to learn.

ISRO recruits mechanical engineers through its ICRB exam to work in the field of aerospace. Same goes with private aerospace industries like Airbus, GE aviation or Boeing in India.

Learn ANSYS (structural, thermal and fluid simulations), any 3D modeling tool, and MATLAB, and you are eligible for any aerospace job. (except avionics which needs electronics background)