Mechanical Engineering
Hamdi Zenkri

Internship choice

Question

Dear Sir/Madam
As part of my engineering studies, I must have 6 one-month-internship and 6 completed projects, one in each semester.
For projects I do not have much of a choice since they are given by the teachers.But for the internship, I have to choose. 
But it's a bit hard to choose in which sector i would do that. my first one was in last january and i did it the aeronautical sector which proved to be a really bad choice.
hence i'm asking for an advice. Which sectors should I choose and in which order ?

3 answers to this question

Look for an opportunity in a company that actually manufactures some product. Such an employer will usually lket you see the whole process, from design, through manufacturing engineering, to sales and service. This is particularly valuable for a student. Do not go to a company that only does paper studies or the like; this is not the whole picture.

DrD

Dr. D hit it on the head. The big corps are alluring but a small company with design and fabrication functions will be worth much to you. Do everything you can to talk to every department and visit if allowed. Ask the members in each department what they wish the other departments knew. Don't try to fix the company in a one month internship but use the information in your work and in your professional role. Many problems are not unique once you get to the core. But are allowed to remain and erode time and profits.

I heartily agree with both of these recommendations! By all means work at a company that actually *does* something and not just yacks about it. You should also consider a company that tests things and calibrates instruments, such as the one I work for. We test power plants and related processes all over the world. I've known many who have degrees in engineering but have never done anything but shuffle paper.