Mechanical Engineering
Anujmehta

Bs 4 engine

Whatever in the world does "bs4" and "bs3" mean? I've never heard such terminology, after many years of working with engines of many sorts.

DrD

Its not just the engine. BS4 defines limits of pollutants that can come out of the exhaust for each class of vehicle, plus a few other things. This can be achieved in more than one way. Of course, with more engineering. The vehicle is overall better than BS3. 

Got the above from a Google search.

Whatever in the world does "bs4" and "bs3" mean? I've never heard such terminology, after many years of working with engines of many sorts.

DrD

This is country specific standards .. BS3   Bharat Stage 3   Bharat is another name of India   As you must have heard of euro3 and euro 4

based on emission standards, the BS3 engines & BS4  enginers are classified.... however the difference in technology is still to be checked upon...

it may very from company to company......

Thank you JAG and Saurabh. No, I have never heard of BS3, BS4, euro3, or euro4. All of this is pretty industry specific to the automotive engine industry. For those of us not currently involved with the standards in that area, it is simply Greek.

I wonder how many, if any, outside of India know that Bharat is another name for India? I certainly did not. Perhaps this site should be restricted to Indians only, those in the know.

DrD

I wonder how many, if any, outside of India know that Bharat is another name for India? I certainly did not. Perhaps this site should be restricted to Indians only, those in the know.

DrD

I look forward to make it for mechanical engineering which is universal... and not any country specific....I look forward to non Indians to spread the same in their country.....

On 03/04/2017 at 8:39 PM, Anujmehta said:

Which technology use in bs4 engine?

And how it's different from bs3 engine??

IN CASE OF TWO-WHEELERS:

Changes from BS3 to BS4 for motorcycles are more than just tailpipe emissions. Regulations also (for the first time) restrict evaporation emissions from fuel tanks, which mean a new breather value and additional or changed stamps in the body structure or additional brackets that hold these new systems. This is very difficult to retrofit considering the fact that major design changes might be needed.

IN CASE OF PASSENGER VEHICLES:

Most petrol powered passenger cars in India have already converted to BS4 years ago. This is mainly because the change from BS3 to BS4 is easiest for internal combustion petrol engines. Most emissions standards are met by the engines themselves without the need for complex post combustion methods to reduce the effect of pollution. The addition of turbocharged smaller capacity engines for example is not for more power or more fun but because it is very easy to attain BS4 emissions levels with these modern engines.

The implementation of BS3 had anyways made most manufacturers switch to electrical fuel management and common rail technology for the diesel engines as meeting BS3 with older direct injection technology was quote tough anyways. That said, just like the petrol powered cars, the biggest change in terms of emissions control hardware is a larger volume catalytic converter or Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (DOC) as it is known specifically for diesel engines. The new BS4 cars will also have to have at least one NOX sensor in the tailpipe to constantly monitor and a particulate filter to capture particulate matter.

In short, BS3 emits more pollutants like- CO,HC, NOx to the environment than BS4. That’s the main reason behind banning BS3 vehicles.