Mechanical Engineering

Convert rotary motion to linear motion

Hello,
I have a revolving mechanism. I want to translate this mechanism into linear motion. If we imagine the rotating body on the X plane. My linear motion has to be in the form of a movement of 10 cm above the rotating body, going in the x-axis. So I want to get a 2nd position that moves from the bottom position, which is rotating, to the same x coordinate and moves 10 cm above the rotation using the bottom mechanism. I tried to summarize what I wanted to say in the picture I shared. I'm delighted if you give me an idea.

WQAPm8.png

In the lower right corner, you show x and y axis. But on the figure itself, you show motions that are said to be along the x and y axes, but are not parallel to the axes in the corner. This really does not all make sense. Please try again to convey what you want to do.

DrD

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!! I'm totally confused. What is this, and what are you trying to accomplish with it? Does this thing exist, or is this simply some device you have imagined?

DrD

If you cut an off-centered circular groove in the top of the flat disk, and have a pin with a diameter to fit the groove in the bottom of the vertical arm, that acts like a follower, the vertical arm should go back and forth. The direction is linear but the velocity and acceleration I am not sure of. Now that is the start. How all the parts are keep in the proper orientation to each other and guided to allow it to move freely is where the thinking comes in. Speed will also come into play. If the arms needs to move back and forth 10cm at high speed you will have other issues.

Sounds like JAG is proposing a face cam. Perhaps JAG understand what AAFAA wish to accomplish. I wish I could say that I understand as much!

If the face cam that JAG proposes is indeed an acceptable answer, the motion analysis (determining position, speed, and acceleration) is just a simple kinematics problem. The big question, as I see it, is this: "Is this what AAFAA wanted to accomplish?"

DrD

@ HydraBob: How do you see a bell crank meeting this need? Can you explain, please?

@ JAG: Its worth a shot. But I think it has risks as well. The confused questioner may simply accept whatever is proposed as an easy way out of having to think more carefully and express the problem better. Who knows??

DrD

Dear Bob,

What you have drawn is simply a form of a slider-crank mechanism, and well known mechanism described in countless sources. Do a Google on that name and you will find more information than you ever imagined.

DrD