Mechanical Engineering Community
Rajkumar Ukkuturi

Which CAD package I chose for my professional career?

I recently graduated my B.tech( mechanical) and present I am looking for a platform where I can contribute my skills and services to the growth of my professional career. I am very interested in mechanical CAD packages and I have some experience of using Solid Edge in my college days.

I noticed that there are many CAD software available in the market and  I am confused which CAD software helps me for my career.

Please help me pick one software among the following that is probably the best for my professional career.

1)Solid edge

2)Solidworks

3)Catia

4)Autodesk Auto CAD

5)crew

(excuse my grammar)

On 28/09/2017 at 6:19 AM, Henry Kurniadi said:

1) Never use it

2) Decent, with capability of generating 2D design, 3D design, structural simulation (add-ins), fluid simulation (add-ins)

3) Never use it

4) Use the 2D in college, never know that they could be used for simulation

5) first time heard it from you.

On 28/09/2017 at 2:25 PM, faako said:

2.) use this, it is smooth to work with

10 hours ago, Moses Eusebius said:

For Me, you may use SOLID WORK for 3D because it's simple to learn and master it.

But for 2D better use AUTOCAD 

Best of lucks

Assem10.JPG

Thanks for your valuable reply for my question. I will try solidworks and try to be master in it.

if you are interested in CAD maybe you learned basic in Solid edge. use solidworks for better work flow and easy tool interference.

catia is for surface modeling most of time and stimls. autocad for 2d draftings .crew herd it 1st time from you a new software.

It's pro-e(creo) not crew.

I've been doing Mechanical design & engineering for 25+ years. Here's my take

1)Solid edge - I don't know anyone using this professionally.

2)Solidworks - <== this is your best choice, by far. There is a huge user base, it's easy to learn, and is used (nearly) EVERYWHERE. That said, Solidworks has deteriorated in quality and frequently has stability (crash) problems, especially when used with VPN and floating licenses, as well as with with EPDM. Basically, it's the worst, except for all the others. (...and I've been using it since 1995). Solidworks is broadly adopted across many industries and most new college grads have SW skills they picked up using the Student version in university.

3)Catia - think of it as a more powerful version of Solidworks (same company - Dassault). It typically gets adopted by larger organisations that have outgrown Solidworks (in terms of part count, part complexity, or vault size).

4)Autodesk Auto CAD - AutoCAD is still used in Architecture, but AutoCAD lost the battle for mechanical CAD back in the 90's againtst ProE and SW.

5)crew - I'm going to assume you meant CREO here. Good, powerful, capable package that many people like more than SW  - particularly for complex surfacing projects. The downside is that the interface is terrible, is difficult to learn, and is not widely used across industry. I know many people who have used ProE and CREO for decades and still consider themselves "barely competent". It seems you never get "good" at Creo/ProE.

HOWEVER: My #2 recommendation is actually not on your list - Fusion360 from Autodesk. This is THE one to watch. It is getting widely adopted, is very Solidworks-like in the interface and extraordinarily capable. It is also DIRT CHEAP (right now, but the price WILL go up over time - according to a SVP at Autodesk that I know personally). It also has the old HSM CAM (not CAD) built in which is unreal. HSM is a fantastically capable, very modern, way to program CNC parts (it used to cost ~8kUSD on it's own). I suspect that Fusion will clean Solidworks' clock over the next couple years if Autodesk doesn't fuck it up.

Short list:

1) Solidworks - can't go wrong

2) Fusion - likely to be the Next Big Thing in CAD

3) CREO

forget all the others.

I recently graduated my B.tech( mechanical) and present I am looking for a platform where I can contribute my skills and services to the growth of my professional career. I am very interested in mechanical CAD packages and I have some experience of using Solid Edge in my college days.

I noticed that there are many CAD software available in the market and  I am confused which CAD software helps me for my career.

Please help me pick one software among the following that is probably the best for my professional career.

1)Solid edge

2)Solidworks

3)Catia

4)Autodesk Auto CAD

5)crew

(excuse my grammar)

If I were you I can chosee the Catia Programme. Bcuz it is very useful and more quality manufacturing in the factories. On the other hand you can be master in SolidWorks, it is very good platform to new user to learn Solid design and assembly...

Hello, I am currently pursuing my BE in ME . I have been working with cadd soft like CATIA , solid works, AutoCAD,CREO for 2 years now .

But the most commonly used in indian industry is Solid works and CATIA for 3d modelling and AutoCAD for 2d .

But the trend is shifting towards NxCad for 3d modelling as large automobile industries are shifting to Nx cad from CATIA . 

Hope this helps . I'd suggest to learn AutoCAD , CATIA or Solidworks ,NxCad ,Ansys .  

1.One way to determine which software has more scope is by going through job search classifieds, online portals. That being said, the most common software used is AutoCAD 2D. (Verification needed) 
2. Licenses of most 3D softwares cost a lot more than AutoCAD (There may be free student versions). I learnt this fact when I was learning Pro E 4.0 from an instructor of mine. Working licenses of solid works is 7000$ for Solid works professional.
3. Search for license costs. It'll be more clear that way. If you want to learn 3D software, check for the ones which have plenty of tutorials online (ex. Solid works)

Well i'm not a professional .i'm just a mechanical engineering student like you , but i think that for a mechanical engineer's career . the best softwares to learn are.

solidworks for CAD.

catia for surfacing and ergonomics

Mastercam for CAM

and Abaqus for simulation