Mechanical Engineering Community
Louis Fiddes01

Dissertation Project Starting From Scratch

Good Evening all,

I will be starting my third year at university next week and have already confirmed a dissertation idea I am slightly lost in the best procedure.

So the project will be designing an Oil Pump for a Motorsport Transmission, although many other Motorsport Transmissions use oil pumps there is no technical information apart from pictures and exploded diagrams.

My plan was to design the gearbox in solidworks and try multiple pump designs in GNU Octave however, I am un-sure on how to analyse oil pumps and the conditions they need to meet.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Louis

What a great idea to commit yourself to a project you know nothing about! This is utter foolishness!! Engineers do not do such things.

DrD

As for university basis, it is a year long learning curve so I will fully understand it this time next year. If I was to understand the subject it would defeat the object of learning? The whole point of this forum is to get help and guidance on projects?  

Louis 

I rather doubt that you will ever get to the point where you fully understand the problem. Most of us find that there is always something more we can learn.

At the same time, it seems foolhardy to commit to designing something about which you know so little. There is nothing about which I know everything, yet I would undertake to design some things but not others. I would design those things about which I already know enough to make a good start. I would avoid attempting to design something about which I now know nothing. Do you see the difference?

DrD