Mechanical Engineering
Intellegent Hawj

What if I want to be a engineering Tech but I have a 4 year degree

Question

I am of the first born generation in my family to go to college, as my parents came from the mountains of south east Asia where no education existed or was ever head of. Growing up, I did not know engineering technicians existed, so I got my BS in mechanical engineering as my counsler recommended when I told her I like building things. Now that I am looking for a job, I see this engineering technician position and the responsibilities sound exactly like everything I wanted when I set out on this path of engineering. I'm a person that loves working with my hands to makes stuff, fix stuff, and be creative. I want to apply for the job but I don't want to feel like I am not an engineer nor do I want to get paid just as much as a 2 year student. Does having my 4 year degree and entering this technician job do anything for me or is that considered below me at this point (I don't mean that in a negative way I just don't know how else to describe that)?

1 answer to this question

Do what you love to do and forget what everyone else thinks. My uncle was a surgeon but would rather have been a car mechanic. He was always afraid to hurt his hands or even get them dirty. How sad. That's what pursuing other people's expectations does to you. I've always loved fixing things. My mom used to tell the story when I was almost three years old. I rearranged all of the Christmas tree lights to be red, yellow, green--just like traffic lights. I presume you've seen this video...