Mechanical Engineering Community
Susan Fincher

Hiring professional automation machine builders

I own a food production business for many years now, and everything’s doing fine. But I think it’s the right time to expand it and make some major improvements. I plan on getting an automated machine to increase the speed of our production. I’m already considering one of the machine builder companies my sister suggested to me so I can get customised tools for my business. Do you think it’s a good idea to hire such professionals? Or should I look for ready-made equipment that will suit me?

It really depends on whether there is "off the shelf" equipment available to suit your requirement, or are you after something bespoke which would be designed especially for your particular application.

An "off the shelf" machine would probably be cheaper as all the design and development would have already taken place.

But if your application is a little more unusual, then you'll probably be better going to one of the special-purpose machine builders out there.

Pete Wills has the right idea. By "off the shelf" if the right equipment exists, but don't buy the wrong equipment just because it is "off the shelf." You will get what yo pay for.

DrD