Mechanical Engineering Community
Amil

Will a chassis crack if i don’t use the car?

Speaking of cars, in particular of the chassis, if we keep a car stopped for years, will the weight of the engine and all the components form cracks in the crystalline microstructure of the iron?

if we think about a spring, if we leave it compressed for so long it will lose its ability to flex, it will not come back as before (i guess), isn't it the same for a frame that has to hold up an engine for years?  perhaps there is a load limit below which the piece will return as before also being compressed for many years?  What happens to the metal microstructure in these cases?  Correct me if I'm wrong. 

if the weight of the motor has been designed to keep the deformation of the underlying frame always in the "elastic" and not "plastic" area, how can it damage the metal in the absence of external environmental attacks?

thanks

Cracks do not grow by themselves. Most cracking is due to fatigue, and that requires motion. A motionless car will not crack.

DrD

Crack will not happen because it is ideal condition for chassis with respect to stress strain diagram. the material corrosion is other topic for debate. No deformation and crack generated at ideal condition because as per stress strain diagram material do not react at the point of maximum stress point.