Mechanical Engineering
Feethurt

Holding a cylinder in place- strap wrench?

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum, trying to solve an engineering problem.  I have ideas, but wanted to brainstorm here and see if anyone else may have a better one.

I have a steel cylinder (roughly 3.6 inches diameter, 6 inches long) with a hole through its center.  A shaft is pressed into that hole with an interference fit.

I want to put a torque wrench on the shaft to test how much torque it can withstand without slipping.  To do this I think I will need to hold the cylinder still, and I am brainstorming ways to do this.  I need to test it up to 50 ft*lbs, and would like to have the ability to go up to 165 ft*lbs.  I am considering a strap wrench, as they're available in rubber (high friction) and they self-tighten as more torque is applied.  However, I'm not sure if a strap wrench would be able to handle that without slipping.  I do not want to cut into or damage the cylinder.  It's quite strong and can resist a lot of crush force, but teeth biting into it are likely to cause damage.

Any input is appreciated!

experiment, experiment, experiment.  The strap wrench is a good first step and would most likely be successful. Alternatives can be thought of if the strap wrench doens't work...a combination of rubber-lined v-blocks in a vice for example...?...but the cost increases dramatically.