Mechanical Engineering
Gerardo Padilla

How can i get the moment of inertia?

Hi guys, i am very lost with this problem from my materials class. I need to calculate de maximum efforts of the fibers of the beam. 

O = MC/I

I is the moment of inertia of the cross section and i really do not know how to get that since i think i do not have enough information of the C beams.

M is the flexionant intern moment of the beam. 

C Distance from the neutral axis to the extern fibers of the beam.

I would really appreciate your help.

Capture.JPG

Looks like you have the dimensions of the channels (10 x 15.3). Do you know if those are inside dimension, outside dimension, or what? I would suggest you go to a steel design book which will probably give you I for the section.

The loading diagram indicates that w = w(x), a variable loading, so you will need to express that mathematically and then integrate twice to get the moment, M(x). From there on, it should be easy.

DrD

Failing that, it is the area integral over the direction applied squared...ie if x direction its the area integral of the y^2 area and if the y direction its the area integral of the x^2  area...