Mechanical Engineering
Medhat Hamed

How to know more about other fields of ME.

Question

Hello , i'm a first year ME student. My university offers two subfields of ME which students will join after the first two years of general ME , they are Mechanical design engineering and Mechanical power engineering. now , I find myself so interested in Cars and mechatronics but mainly (cars) , my question is which one of these fields is the closest one to either of them ? and the other one is how can I learn about automobile engineering and mechatronics on my own ?

3 answers to this question

Automotive engineering involves both the mechanical design side and the thermal power side. Even if we narrow it just to engines, the statement above is still true. The truth is simply that you have to know both sides to some degree, even if your interest is primarily on one or the other  side.

DrD

Below are the some related fields of ME. You can look at them

• Biomedical and Engineering Fluid Mechanics.
  • Combustion and the Environment.
  • Ground Vehicle Systems.
  • Heat Transfer, Thermodynamics and Energy Systems.
  • Manufacturing.
  • Mechanical Design.
  • System Dynamics and Control.
  • Transportation Systems.

I rebuilt my first engine at age 11 without adult supervision. My dad never held a wrench. I thought I would go off to college and they would teach me how to make engines go faster, design intake and exhaust manifolds, pistons, combustion chambers, ignition systems, etc. I barely set foot in the engineering building in 2 years. I had to take endless "gen ed" courses, politics, and positively dreadful literature. I left college and went back to being a mechanic. I was so very naive and uninformed. I finally did get back into university and finished quite well. I had no clue how many wonderful jobs were waiting to be filled. I never did go to work for an automobile manufacturer, but I've walked along the valve cover of an engine so big that the oil cap was the size of a storm drain cover. I've sat on a 135,000 hp electric pump motor with a clipboard jotting down temperatures because the magnetic field was so strong the data acquisition system couldn't get near it. I've tuned a million hp engine more than once. I've been inside a Francis turbine the size of a movie theater. I've also watched the switch-over from making cheese crackers to peanut butter crackers at the Tom's factory that's one mile from my house. Don't you just want to know what they do with the ones in the middle? Engineering can be a wonderful career! Work for several companies while you're still a student and see what they actually do. It may surprise you.