Jump to content
Mechanical Engineering
  • 0

Seamless large diameter pipe expander?


Hello everyone,

I'm not entirely sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but I'm not sure where else it would go.

I've heard from someone who used to work in the industry that oil and gas companies have seamless pipe expanders, with smooth and flexible exteriors, that go inside a pipe, then increase their OD using hydraulic pressure to expand the pipe.  So, like an inflatable pipe plug, but strong enough to actually yield the metal.  He described it as looking like an air suspension bag for a car.

(NOT like a hydraulic pipe expander that simply uses a hydraulic ram to force a tool into a pipe, enlarging it as it does.)

I can't seem to find this anywhere.  Does it not exist, or is my Google-fu just weak?



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 answer to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

What you seek is a pipe flaring tool - sometimes known as a pipe swaging tool...they are commonly mechanical, but are available in hydraulic...I haven't seen a pneumatic version, but there is no reason why this shouldn't be available too...particularly for use around Oxygen pipework (hydrocarbons spontaneously ignite in oxygen so you would avoid the use of hydraulics in case of an oil leak).

Hope this helps

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Join Mechanical Engineering network

    Join us (login) to get full access : Please sign up to connect and participate.

  • Create New...