Mechanical Engineering
Lowercupid

Engineering Advice/Help

Question

Hey Guys,

I have already completed half a semester of engineering, and I am enrolled in mechatronics engineering. My plan was to finish mechatronics then specialize in robotics, AI, or computer science (masters). I have questions I would like to ask, and get some answers/opinions.

1. My main concern is that I heard from my dean in my uni, that bigger companies tend to take mechanical or electrical engineers instead of mechatronics, as they have a greater budget to spend on a more speciallized person rather than a person that knows a bit of everything. I also heard that mechatronics are usually recruited for small/start up companies? can anyone comment on this and give me your opinion?

2. For the specialization(masters) of Robotics/AI/Computer Science, would mechatronics be the best path for these specialization? or would electical/mechanical have no issues pursuing this path? which would be the best one for this?

3)If anyone here did mechatronics or any engineering degree, have you done any specialization, if so what specialization? Was finding jobs difficult? What do you work in?

1 answer to this question

It seems that most every young engineer wants to build fighting robots. This might make for an interesting hobby, but you'll need a real job to fund it. There are countless other fulfilling areas to pursue, most of which you've probably never even thought of. Co-opping (taking one semester each year off to work for a different company) can open up all sorts of new vistas for your consideration. You may quickly find out what you like to do and what you don't. I'm just going to throw out some things... powder coating (paint) technologies for manufacture and delivery; remote sensing for pesticide and fertilizer evaluation; drone monitoring of solar field condition; retrofit of engines that no longer meet emissions constraints; most efficient dispatch of a power generating system considering fuel, maintenance, and emissions; automated inspection of trucks and shipping containers; rapid storage and delivery systems; more effective and efficient recycling and sorting of items; reclamation of materials currently dumped in the nearest landfill (nobody even attempts to recover anything from old 72-inch television sets they just toss them out and get an 80-inch one); ...