Mechanical Engineering
pl15

Homemade online Structural Analysis

I have started to develop a structural analysis tool (linear elastic response) using an alternative method to FEA, and I am wondering if the tool would be useful. Since I am not a structural engineer, I wanted to get thoughts on this to see if this kind of tool could be helpful for the design process? For example, at a very early stage of a design, drawings could be done in a few seconds. Here is the tool I am working on: fsa.plvaldenaire.com

screenshot.thumb.png.1fefc459f00d6a437c6413eba022b13b.png

Thanks!

It is based on this method: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0045782597002181
It involves the same equations as the ones used by Finite Element Method (here mechanical equilibrium with linear elasticity). The difference is from the numerical integration. Here, it uses Finite Difference rather than Finite Element/Volume so the fields (stress and strain tensors) are discretised on a regular grid. At high resolution it should give the same exact solution as FEM.

It is a Web App so you cannot download it and I am planning to keep it online. The page should also work from a phone or tablet.

If you have any feedback please don't hesitate to share; I want to improve it.