Mechanical Engineering

Guys & Girls,

I need your help.

Problem is this: Suppose I have a round drum, rotating about its main vertical axis. Top and bottom are closed off. The drum is partially filled with a liquid. How do I calculate the force that the liquid exerts on the top end bottom lid of the drum. Let's ignore gravity.

I have attached 2 calculations I did. The picture I found somewhere on the web.

Which one of the two is wrong and why? Or are they both wrong???

Looking forward to hear from you!

drum2.jpg.b843b73128a9a0f33571ca6b6a33926c.jpgdrum1.jpg.d3853dcdaee20ec4f939f1b46187728c.jpg

symbols.jpg

Edited by Carlo Pescatori
Confidentiality

Dear Carlo,

Thank you for an interesting problem. I have attached my solution as a PDF file. It is certainly not guaranteed; there could certainly be algebraic errors in it. I encourage you to check it over very carefully before applying it.

Note that as I have used the Greek letter rho, it has units kg/m^3, not per liter as you did.

I'd like to know more about the origins of this problem. It would be nice if you would send me a message telling me more about where it came up.

DrD

SpinningTank.pdf

Dear DrD,

thank your for you clear answer!

Some background: this is a real life application of a fast spinning centrifuge. G-forces at the outer diameter of the drum are 45000m/s^2, so the liquid will nearly a cylinder. The centrifugal forces 4500x higher than the gravitation, so it is safe to leave it out of the equation for this application.

Thanks again, much appreciated! 

Dear All,

For any of you who may have read my previous post on this question, I have to tell you that it has an error. I left out the tangential forces on the fluid element, and thus got a wrong result.

I hope to have a better result for you in a few days, but for now, do not make any use of the result posted earlier. Sorry about that!

DrD