Mechanical Engineering

In my machine i have to run a shaft by the servo motor through timing belt. Speed of the motor changes (reduces/increases) frequently. I need drive shaft to response faster based on the servo motor input. I would like to know which of the following two scenarios will respond faster.

Scenario 1: Single long belt from servo motor to driven shaft

Scenario 2: Using compound belt drive (two belts) between servo motor to driven shaft of same centers as of scenario 1 (function requirement calls for compound belt drive)

Thanks in advance.

Are you talking about two belts side by side between the same two shafts, or are you talking about three shafts connected by two belts? An intelligent answer is not possible without a clear question. A figure would help.

DrD                                                                  

When you say you want faster response, I presume you mean you want a quicker motion at the load. You don't show any load on the intermediate (idler) shaft, so I will assume that there is none.

The answer is not entirely simple, but there are two factors to consider.

(1) How much inertia is involved in the system?

(2) How stiff is the system?

Both systems have nearly the same amount of belt inertia, but the three shaft system definitely has more inertia due too the double pulley and idler shaft. This works to slow the system response.

In terms of stiffness, it is difficult to say. It depends upon the axial stiffness of the belts involved.

I suggest that you make a mathematical model of both systems, get some actual numerical values for the parameters, and see which one has the better response.

DrD

• 4 weeks later...

Another consideration if looking into creating a faster response is to reduce slippage of the belt. In industry from experience Ive learnt that if you add a pulley to the system in such a way to create a greater wrap angle around the driven and drive pulley you reduce the overall slippage present in the system. The advantage of course is a better response and less energy loss.