Mechanical Engineering
Sign in to follow this  
Donna

Where to Locate Supports

Hello.  My question is where to locate the two 4 x 4 support structures I am going to use beneath a garden window which is suspended off of the house.  We estimate the weight of the garden window to be about 300 pounds.

I would like to position them at an angle from the bottom of the garden window to the house with lag bolts.  The dimensions of the garden window are 72 inches wide by 30 inches high by 24 inches deep.  The 24-inch dimension is the portion that extends from the house.  Thank you.

GW Support.pdf

As far as  the horizontal positioning goes, I think esthetics is probably the main concern. I would suggest supports about 12 inches from each end, but then I'd also make a scale drawing and see if it looks right to you.

The bigger question is the vertical support point. You need to look the wall supporting the bottom end of the leg and see where it can best take the loads. Remember that there will be both vertical and horizontal components of the load against the wall.

DrD