Mechanical Engineering

ANSYS Static Structural Analysis, Defining a Rigid Body and contacts

Question

Hello,

I have a problem in ANSYS Static Structural Analysis when there are contacting surfaces. I explained the situaition below, could you please help me?

THE PROBLEM

I need to realize a static structural simulation where there are two contacting bodies as one of them is defined as rigid (brown body) and the other one is defined as deformable (yellow body) shown in the picture below.

twobodies.png

The Force on the Circular Surface:

In the picture; the brown body is rigid and the yellow body is deformable. I apply a force in the negative x direction on the circular surface as shown in the picture. Note: This force is caused by frictional forces so the loading type is possible in reality and comprehensible.

The Displacement on Circular Surface:

I also define displacement for this circular surface as to be zero in the y and z directions and to be free in the x direction. For the contact surfaces. (Detailed note: This circular surface is actually mounted on a sliding rod, and rod moves with the yellow part)

The Contact Surfaces between brown and yellow parts:

contactsurfaces.png

For the contact surfaces, I tried many things but couldn't successfully define them and oobtain the results. I tried to define frictionless contact region, but I got nothing but failures because of this.

Note: When the force is applied, because of the bending trend of the yellow part, the contacting surfaces can be seperated throughout the course of analysis. So the contact surfaces which are fully in contact with the rigid body at the beginning is most probably going to be seperated.

Would you please enlight me with your wise ideas about how to do this?

Thanks for your time reading my question and your sincere thoughts, sincerely

Murat

1 answer to this question

I am not an FEA person, but I see some possibilities for your problem.

1) Your XYZ coordinate system is left-handed. I would imagine that the code expects everything to be expressed in a right-handed system.

2) The force that you show will move the two bodies apart, not force them together. This should lead to no deformation in either body.

DrD