Mechanical Engineering

• sgr41 changed the title to Shrink fit Interference

Get a reasonable value for the coefficient of friction, and calculate the interface pressure required to transmit the required torque. After you know the interface pressure, the interference is pretty easy. Check out a machine design book (Shigley, Budinas, or other) for the details.

DrD

21 minutes ago, DrD said:

Get a reasonable value for the coefficient of friction, and calculate the interface pressure required to transmit the required torque. After you know the interface pressure, the interference is pretty easy. Check out a machine design book (Shigley, Budinas, or other) for the details.

DrD

Thank you for the answer. According to the book the formula for the pressure is image.png.00c430f71f4e84ac588cdd6382d01141.png

I need to find the value of delta(radial interference). Which formula do I use to calculate the pressure, assuming I know the torque of the motor, coefficient of friction and shaft diameter.

Do you know the meaning of the symbols in the equation you quoted? If so, please list them (if not, please look them up).

Then, do you know how to relate force to pressure and area? (What area does the pressure act upon?)

Can you see how to go from here?

DrD

• 3 weeks later...