Mechanical Engineering

new thread on bolt

Question

hi there

Apologize in advance for the non technical language. I have got an M12x65 socket caps that is partially threaded. I use a M12 die with the same pitch to fully thread it. The problem is that the nut is way too tight on the new threads. I checked the bolt diameter of the existing threads and the diameter for the new thread that I did. The diameter of the new thread from some reason slightly wider.

My question is what is going on? Why that happens and is it because of that the nut is too tight? Lastly how do i sort it out?

Thanks in advance

Ronen

1 answer to this question

I have seen this before on a variety of thread sizes, so this is not a unique problem. I run a die on the one and a tap on the other. You may need to turn the die upside down to finalize the thread, because it will be tapered on the starting side. If the two still don't fit right, it's a tolerance issue in the manufacture of the tools. The next thing to try is getting the tap and die from the same manufacturer. If it still doesn't work, you must file the threads. There are special little files in several shapes for this purpose. They're expensive, but worth the investment.