Mechanical Engineering

What is the best way to approach this problem?

Question

Hello,

not sure if it's the right place to ask, but here it goes :)

I and my team are trying to come up with an idea, of how to build this portable book-dispenser-kinda thing. Basically, some portable mechanism, that can hold 15-20 light-weight books and can fetch the right book, by receiving a signal from outside.

Some mechanism, similar to this one, or horizontal rotating disc with books aligned vertically.

The trick is, it should be controlled remotely (by arduino or something similar).

Any ideas or thought, on what would be the best way to approach this problem, would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

1 answer to this question

Isn't this exactly what a RedBox does with DVDs? Unless you want to make a lot of these dispensers and have a lot of money to spend (hopefully to recover later), you will need to find a mechanism that already exists and is already mass produced so that you can adapt it cheaply. When I needed such a thing, I went looking at what people had until I found something I could use. Vending machines would be a place to start.