Mechanical Engineering Community
Sharvil Pradhan

Role of Mechanical Engineer in IT industry

I am in final year of mechanical engineering from University of Mumbai. I got placement in TCS through campus placement drives. I want to know the role of a mechanical engineer in IT industry. Will the job profile be related to mechanical engineering? Please contact at sharvil_pradhan@yahoo.com

Waiting for your reply.

The some of automobile industries and some other industries belonging to mechanical have some software projects to it companies so for doing that projects only mechanical people are perfect, like our construction machines or cv vehicles are having the latest controlling systems ECU(

electronic control unit)

which control the working of vehicle/machines & new engines which comes with new emmsion norms are electronically controlled require a software to maintain the system.

The main functions of mechanical engineers nowadays:

• Research and assess design proposals and specifications.
  • Develop and test design models with the use of software programs to assess feasibility.
  • Investigate the cause of equipment and system failures, and provide feedback to drafters and design engineers.
  • Read and interpret technical illustrations, blueprints, and computer-generated reports.
  • Develop structural designs for products with the use of CAD and other drafting software programs.
  • Recommend design modifications to ensure there will be no malfunctions in the system or in the machine.

If you may have noticed, the scope of work of a mechanical engineer involves the use of computer aided engineering tools, especially in industrialized countries. Without such tools, it would be difficult for these professionals to create designs, perform analysis, and utilize designing interfaces.

mechanical engineers have already become indispensable in the software industry, too. As a mechanical engineer, you do not have to worry that your job is becoming obsolete. Quite the contrary, mechanical engineers are still very much in-demand nowadays especially since the profession has already evolved, with majority of educational institutions already offering computer-aided design (CAD), design engineering, computer-aided manufacturing (CAM), and drafting as part of their coursework for mechanical engineering programs.

First of all, since you are a mechanical engineer, i assume that when you joined college, you did not want to join an IT company. But since most of placement happens in IT, you jumped on the bandwagon and accepted their offer for lure of money, independence and brand name of Infosys.(Correct me in the comments if i am wrong).

Training(as a Mech Engineer) With that assumption, i state that your branch of engineering is mostly irrelevant when you join Infosys. Many mechanical engineers, civil engineers join the company as freshers. Heads Up, it would be nice if you join some course before hand incase you are completely out of touch with programming after 4 years in Mech. The training will be intense and multiple technologies will be introduced. The key thing in clearing the Training is LEARNABILITY. If you have the aptitude, it should not be a problem.

Job: Infosys doesn't have a power/construction/Machinery subsidiary. So, your job FOR CERTAIN will be in front of a desktop completely. The nature of your project depends on where the company feels it needs to push in more employees at the moment. It could be Java, banking(Finacle), Mainframe, Mobilities etc. Far way from any kind of Mechanical project. Infosys has big clients like Harley toyota who have core business in mechanical but as an Infoscion your job will be handling, supporting, developing, integrating IT division of such companies, making sure these clients do not face any hassles in runnings their IT operations

IT-Related Functions of Mechanical Engineers:-

• Research and evaluate design proposals and specifications.
  • Develop and test design models with the application of software programs to check feasibility.
  • Find out the cause of equipment and system failures, and provide feedback to drafters and design engineers.
  • Read and translate technical illustrations, blueprints, and computer-generated reports.
  • Create structural designs for products with the help of CAD and other drafting software programs.